How Technology is Promoting Safe Driving
Technology has forever changed the way in which we communicate and live our lives on a daily basis. Perhaps one of the most important things technology has given us in recent years if new vehicle safety features. Sadly, someone dies in the United States every 30 minutes because of impaired or distracted driving, and every two minutes someone is injured in a car accident. In order to protect ourselves and others, it is important to raise awareness about the dangers of driving distracted.
These days, modern cars come with a wide range of important safety features, all of which aim to protect drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and other motorists. The key here is knowing how to use them. In addition to these features, there are also numerous apps for both Android and iPhone devices that can help you stay focused on the road and safe while driving.
Top Technologies Keeping Drivers Safe
While there is no one single app or feature that will take driver error out of the equation, there are numerous technologies that are beneficial to drivers today. From smart headlights to the iPhone’s “Do Not Disturb While Driving’ feature, let’s look at how technology is helping reduce dangerous driving habits:
- Smart headlights – Many new cars come with smart headlights, which adjust the range and intensity of light based on traffic. This is a great feature to help improve night vision and ensure those driving at night can see and be seen.
- Back-up cameras – Reverse monitoring systems are excellent tools, whether you are a teen driver or a seasoned vet. They warn drivers of objects close to the rear of the vehicle and help judge distances when backing up.
- Blind spot warning system – Blind spots are dangerous and often the cause of serious car accidents. With new blind spot warning systems, drivers can change lanes and park much safer.
- Apple’s ‘Do Not Disturb While Driving’- One of the biggest problems plaguing American drivers right now is the use of smartphones. Unfortunately, people text while driving, respond to emails and text messages, and even scroll through social media, all of which takes the focus off the road. Apple’s relatively new ‘Do Not Disturb While Driving’ feature aims to curb these behaviors by preventing drivers from seeing messages and call notifications on the screen until the car has stopped. And the best part? It automatically sends a message to the sender that the user is driving.
- Lane departure warning – There are several different lane change assist or lane departure warning technologies out there today, all of which are extremely handy. They work by alerting you that your car is about to veer out of lane, warning you to get back into the lane. This is a great feature, as many accidents are caused by drowsy drivers who drift into the other lane.
- Drowsy driver alerts – Building off the above point, many cars also have drowsy driver alerts that monitor how inattentive the driver is being, alerting them to get back on track.
These features are very beneficial and have already saved lives. According to Apple, the ‘Do Not Disturb While Driving’ feature has reduced the number of accidents that occur because of smartphone usage by 8 percent. We still have a long way to go, but this is a good place to start. If you have been involved in a car accident because of another person’s negligence or distraction, please contact a Dallas personal injury lawyer at Rad Law Firm today.