Amanda Jeffries Crashes Into Police Offices After High-speed Chase

Twenty-seven year-old Amanda Jeffries stole a pick-up truck Wednesday night and led officers on a chase. She then crashed into the San Angelo police administrative offices at 401 E. Beauregard Ave., striking the unoccupied northeast corner of the building. The administrative office, which handles burglar alarms and sales permits, will be closed until Monday to ensure the building is structurally sound.

The police chief, his assistant chiefs, city risk management officials and IT officials were on the scene. Police spokesman Lt. David Howard said officials would be there throughout the night to clear up debris, ensure computers weren’t further damaged and board up the damage done to the cinder block and brick walls. A burst pipe caused extensive water damage in the building, and furniture was also damaged, including computers and other office equipment.

Howard said Jeffries suffered minor injuries and was taken to Shannon Medical Center. She will be charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and felony evading arrest upon her release. Police commented that more charges may be added pending investigation. No one else was injured in the chase or crash.

The chain of events began at a 7-Eleven in the 1800 block of Sherwood Way when a woman was seen allegedly stealing a truck. Officers followed the truck through north and central San Angelo at speeds up to 70 mph. A theft-in-progress was reported about 8 p.m. During the chase, the truck lost one of its front tires, and some of the chassis was on the axle, with one of the front axles on the ground. According to police, the pursuit lasted about four minutes.  “The officers involved in the pursuit stated that they believed she intentionally drove into the building,” Howard said.

Cynthia Ramirez, one of about 50 people who stood across the street in the Lowe’s grocery store parking lot, watched as a tow truck pulled the truck from the building. For several hours she stood lined up with others who took photos and video of a sight not seen in several decades. “I was at choir practice and could hear the screech of the tires and heard siren after siren after siren,” she said.  Cynthia had been at Sacred Heart Cathedral when she heard the commotion. “Approximately 20 years ago a man ran his car onto the front steps of the station,” Howard said. “He didn’t make it into the building at all, but he did try to drive in.”

Original story: